Sunday 12 October 2008

Obituary

September 29, 2008:

Enough.

Obituary: This day, we wish to pray for all those who have departed & left us for a better place. Our world without you seems incomplete but I reckon you won’t be too gravely missed. Kindly observe a moment of silence for the untimely & gruesome death of Violence, Theft, Poverty and Insensitivity. May their souls rest in eternal peace.

..but this thought only flashes across my mind after the trauma has been eased, the tears have dried. The rational mind speaks after I have cried.

I tend to get too attached – to my favourite things & people alike.
Detach.
The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 doesn't matter.
What matters is the grave loss of a friend, the vacuum it leaves behind – the memories that were made together & immortalized in the last year & a half.

‘What is yours can never be taken away from you; what you lose was never your own in the first place.’
- The wisdom of a friend; too profound to ever occur to me.

The photographs – clicked, collected, cherished, flaunted..loved.
The texts – surprises, greetings, poems, songs, random conversations..memories.
The alarm clock – to wake me up to study for my FC paper; snatched away from me before the paper could be written.
The notes – written in trains & buses, not to be erased, never in hell to be stolen.
Virtual glimpses of the past leave me dazed, bruised & a tad confused. The rational mind can do nothing about this.

What good can happen to a person who can be so insensitive as to steal an indispensible part of an average teenager’s life? What will I tell him if I should happen to meet him?
The thoughts keep coming – what if? But why? Why did I not? The rational mind answers – it was just meant to be..

To the world – memories will be made again.
To my cell phone – there will be no one quite like you.
And lastly, to my aggressor – may the monetary benefit from your stealth suffice to buy you back your dignity.

Yes Peru, even this is Bombay.

Cheers. Keedas. Peace.

PS: Yes, I lost my cell phone to an act no less than an act of terrorism. It is not the end of the world. There have been other mind-numbing realities that have caught me by the collar & shaken me up in the last 12 days. But the Nokia 6233, I still miss.

10 comments:

Pratz said...

touching i must say...u will get over it...lost cell phone..hmm...wonder when i last reacted so emotionally over a lost cellphone...hell i did react in a such a way...and i still miss my Nokia 3300 (Rare piece that was)..... anyways nice post this is...reminded of a lot of things i did in college life...realisation...wont be a collegian anymore...in a couple of months that is....sigh...life's like that...keep blogging peru...more frequently...even 5 week gaps seem long for a few fans (aka me)

Peru fan...
Pratz

Mudra said...

Awww... Hey I didn't laugh too much when it happened - I hope you remember!! Sincere condolences. :)

Arre you have a bookshelf n everything now. :) Nice.

Dhruval said...

"I still miss" I totally understand the loss the of your dear cell phone. But unlike you, my cell phone finally gave up and died a peaceful death. The pain of this loss is so much that i cannot think of buying a phone right now. I am jumping between my friends' spare phones and trying to find an apt replacement but my efforts are much in vain. From someone who has been pained too, Life moves on...

Prerna said...

@ pratik: Yea, the loss of a cell phone is traumatic to say the least. You know.

@ mudra: Yes. Laugh - everyone did. You laughed less. But all you sadists laughed nonetheless. I remember alright :)

@ homunculus: I've resolved to not buy a new phone till PCC. I just cannot. Sounds odd, but Im actually glad your phone gave in the way it did. At least you could see it off. At least you were ready for the loss. I can't even switch between spares. All of it just doesn't matter anymore. Yes, life moves on.. I guess..

Prerna said...

@ muddu: I always had a bookshelf. You just noticed! *heart breaks..crinkle clatter crash*

Pratz said...

this one not related to this post...
but that Sherlock Holmes wala joke...was "brilliant" (pun unintended - they all say that) Peru u rock!!!

raghu said...

ur wise frnd copied the lines :)
staying away from people who like you is a compliment to them no?

when you trust someone you give them the right to hurt you, most people use this right.

Prerna said...

@ raghu: Sorry but .. huh?

raghu said...

explaining it will totally ruin the effect :P
haha.. now i can seem all intellectual :S

Mohit Sureka said...

condolences... but haha... i liked reading it...