Wednesday 5 November 2008

While you were sleeping..

Dear Sir,

Hope you've been fine. What's up? Not much, I hope! :D Haven't heard from you since your last visit to Bandra, so I thought I'd write in!

Its politics season, globally at that! This morning, I was reminded of the recent displays of factionalism in Mumbai when Anderson Cooper got the TV camera to pan across most of the state-wise stats of the Prez elections for more than 50 states of the US of A. It was fun to venture out to work that day, even as parts of Mumbai shuddered to acts of fanaticism. It was also fun to see a pattern unison in the voting stats - mass patches of blues for the Obama states. A black man just became President of the United States! Even I feel an inkling of excitement sitting so far away from the action! Don't you?

Ah! I almost forgot. I primarily am writing to you with regard to this matter. As a fellow Mumbaikar, I care for you & wish to express my concern. You see, the times they are a changing. If the greatest nation on earth can metamorphose enough to elect a black African-American as its Commander In Chief, it won't be long before our Seven Islands evolve into a truly cosmopolitan, diversity-respecting, peaceful society. We are seething with positivity & our horizons go beyond North India, all the way to Times Square. Then why can't you be so kind as to inspire people (youth, especially) to channelize their energies in directions of education, art & culture? So let's look at constructive acts & give peace a chance, yes?

And hey! I was wondering if you woke up early enough this morning to watch history being created in America. Like most folks I asked, I guess you weren't awake either. Everyone was too occupied in mundane things & some even got into petty fights in the bus to work this morning. But there are still some of us who wake up everyday & hope to see a better world; some of us who share the warmth of smiles with the people we share our amazing city with. There are still some of us ready, more than ever, for a change.. & a wave of change has already hit the West Coast, while you were sleeping..

Jai Hind. Jai Maharashtra. Jai Obama.

4 comments:

Scribblers Inc said...

and the letter is to Raj Thackeray or am I missing the point?

Scribblers Inc.

Mudra said...

Hmmm... I'm happy for Obama too...! Not because I'm expecting him to work wonders - that'd be asking for too much - but because, well, he's 47, and African-American, an Ivy League man, and just so... likeable. :) Why don't we have leaders who inspire such trust? His winning speech almost made me cry, imagine any Indian leader delivering a speech like that - honest, emotional, no reference to notes, realistic... Oh well.

It may or may not be the solution to problems, but it just feels good that once in a while, policies can win over politics. Which, of course, Raj Thackeray and his goons will never understand.

Ani said...

Ah, I likes.
Like that Beastie Boys song, An Open Letter to NYC :P

But, seriously. Well said. And yes, it would be rather amazing to see an Indian do that, let alone Politicians.
Till then, It's Aamir Khan movies for me :P

Pratz said...

sigh...if only Raj will understand....

nice post though.. well-said