Thursday 26 June 2008

Aamir - The non-JTYJN/ Ghajini one.


For those looking forward to watching Haal-e-Dil/ Thoda Pyar Thoda Magic, I suggest you stop reading this instant because there is more to Bollywood than flowery romances & size zeroes. The new in thing is off-beat cinema. Tell Aamir about it!

Yes, calling a movie ‘off-beat’ has become a cliché. Off-beat could mean Tashan. My condolences with all those who paid to watch it; but I digress. The off-beat I speak of blows my mind away, time & again. It’s more of a movement – to break away from the mainstream BS. From what I recollect, it started with Swades, gained strength with Rang De Basanti, amassed thousands with Lagey Raho Munnabhai & its only gaining strength. What has pleasantly surprised me yet again is a wonder mini-flick called Aamir.

An asthma-ailing, flustered Rajeev Khandelwal clinging on to a red suitcase; minimal, curt dialogues; vrooming of a dirt bike, ticking clocks as background scores and snippets of the Bombay most of us don’t get to see give the movie an eerie feel. Aamir could easily mark the genesis of a new genre in Hindi cinema. In fact, it carries forward what Being Cyrus had kicked off, in some ways.

Speaking of genre, the music is anything but the stereotypical commercial nautanki we are generally exposed to. Amit Trivedi does very well to bring in some quirkiness to the soundtrack. I’m a fan!

I must admit, to watch a K-serial heart-throb do so well on the big screen was a tad unexpected. Whoever knew Rajeev Khandelwal could act ‘and’ look good! Ergo (in case Rajeev is reading) –
‘Dear Rajeev,
To hell with shaadi-vivaah, ghar-parivaar dramas! You ought to be doing more movies. The 8 o’clock soap & Ekta Kapoor you walked out on was good riddance!’

The flick starts off in style. Initially, it seems to be going nowhere really. The momentum builds gradually. The punch is packed only towards the fag end – a crescendo of sorts. The lead of the movie calls it a ‘psychological thriller’. I cannot think of a better description without giving away the storyline!

If you haven’t watched it yet & do not idolize Mimoh Chakraborthy/ Rani Mukherjee as a fairy, please watch Aamir.

Cheers. Keedas. Peace.

3 comments:

Mudra said...

Since you've been raving to me about forever, I dunno what to say to this. But yeah, I'm glad we have more and more interesting movies coming. Finally a departure from rich-girl-poor-boy-run-around-the-trees and all its variants. :)

Btw, Tashan, as I said before, is good. But I'm in a minority so I will say nothing further.

Mudra said...

*about this since forever

PS - Get rid of word verif, will you?

Anuj said...

Aamir was splendid. I am a huge fan of the soundtrack too. Rajeev Khandelwal - hell that guy can act! Some folks say that it is lifted from a Filipino film Cavite but I also read somewhere that they've acquired the title for the film. Whatever the case may be, I think its some of the best camerawork, acting and background music i've seen in a long while. Have you seen the teasers of 'Rock On' - O Holy hell... its such a kick-ass theme for a movie... Dying to see that and Aashayein... Will update you on those two when I see them. Btw, I have rekindled my old blogging flame. See you there...

Cheers,
Anuj